Layton sets the pace to get his victory at Shenington

Willliam Layton on his way to victory at Shenington. Photo: Graeme Smith
Willliam Layton on his way to victory at Shenington. Photo: Graeme Smith

William Layton enjoyed a lights to flag victory in Junior TKM during the ninth round of Shenington’s club series on Sunday.

The Banbury driver held off his rivals as they fought over second, allowing him to extend his lead to nearly four seconds by the chequer flag.

Joel Oswick was shuffled back from his initial second place by Ross Deal and Louis Harvey, the latter then slicing into second.

Meanwhile, championship leader Joshua Sherriff from Daventry closed the gap to the trio, finishing fourth after Deal was excluded for a technical issue with his kart. Layton is now only 24 points behind Sherriff in the club championship standings.

In the Honda four-stroke category, Maurice Henry battled hard for his win.

Alex Molloy moved up to second over Thomas Mills on the first lap. When Robbie Stapleford displaced both, it gave Henry a short respite.

Stapleford towed Mills up to the leader to set up one of the closest ever finishes. Henry took the flag 0.03 seconds ahead of Stapleford while Mills lost out to Chis Simpson and Molloy at the last corner.

In the IAME two-stroke category Freddie Spindlow and Harvey Riby broke away at the front once Riby had leapfrogged Harry Yardley-Rose and Lorenzo Kordal.

Maximus Hall took Kordal for third but was thwarted by a back marker in his efforts to close on Riby and winner Spindlow. Banbury’s Alfie Briggs finished 22nd.

Luke Richardson and Kaylem Burbridge traded the Mini-Max lead but finished in that order, Jonathan Lawrence retiring from third.

Robert Welham had to work hard for his Junior X30 win, vaulting up from fifth off the start to trade the lead with Billy Mattock.

Welham slid wide into the corners on more than one occasion, opening the door for first Mattock and then Zak Bowen. He fell behind both drivers but always had the pace to regain the front, winning over Bowen while Mattock was shuffled behind Matthew Herbert.

Lewis Wadley arrowed up to the front in TKM Extreme from fifth, taking William Lakin at the Stratford Hairpin for the lead.

Lakin fought back at Park Corner for the win and Wadley succumbed to Banbury’s Max Goldsmith at Café Corner. Over Norton’s Joseph Reeves-Smith leapfrogged Open Champion Matthew Taylor for fifth.

Shenington’s André Marot had dominated the TKM Clubman heats despite a scare when his engine was slow to start, and he took a lights to flag victory in the final.

Luke Bourne did his best to challenge Marot in the early stages but had to turn his attention to defending from Suk Sandher, the latter then falling down the order behind William Shaw and James Cayzer.