Steelmen go nap to hammer poor Puritans

Banbury United's Jacob Wallcott gets in a shot at Weymouth. Photo: Graham Hunt
Banbury United's Jacob Wallcott gets in a shot at Weymouth. Photo: Graham Hunt

Banbury United remain rooted to the foot of the Evo-Stik Southern League table after they slipped to back-to-back defeats, going down 5-0 against Corby Town in Tuesday’s premier division clash.

The Steelmen had too much for Paul Davis’s young side and comfortably picked up all three points to maintain their promotion challenge.

First half goals from Greg Mills, from the penalty spot, and top scorer Spencer Weir-Daley put the visitors in charge. Ben Milnes put the result beyond doubt shortly after the restart, leaving substitute Wilson Carvalho and Mills to confirm Corby’s superiority late on.

Corby should have taken an early lead when Mills whipped in a low cross for Weir-Daley who blazed over the bar from six yards.

But the Steelmen were literally handed an eighth minute lead from a bizarre penalty award, Jack Westbrook was ushering the ball out for a goal-kick when he picked it up before it had crossed the line. Referee David Avent pointed to the spot and Mills converted the ensuing penalty despite Leigh Bedwell getting a hand to the ball.

Once again, the Puritans had been punished for a basic error. United recovered with Jordan Green and Leam Howards posing the Corby defence a few problems but it was the visitors who continued to create the better chances.

Paul Malone tested Bedwell with a header from Milnes’ free-kick and it took a trademark reflex save from the keeper to palm away Weir-Daley’s shot through a crowded box. Moments later Bedwell tipped over Shane Byrne’s 20 yard effort and from the ensuing corner Edi Appleton’s header cleared the bar.

More Corby pressure resulted in Bedwell again having to foil Byrne, in the ensuing scramble Weir-Daley’s effort was blocked before Milnes fired over from close range. The United goal continued to lead a charmed life as Bedwell kept his side in the contest.

Corby keeper Paul Walker was finally brought into action to deal with a low drive from Whitehead. But the Steelmen doubled their advantage four minutes before the break when Mills beat Westbrook and this time Weir-Daley made no mistake turning in his low cross from three yards.

Any faint hopes of a comeback were soon ended when Corby increased their lead two minutes after the restart with Mills once again the provider, this time sending Milnes clear to beat the advancing Bedwell.

Milnes was denied by Bedwell shortly afterwards as Corby kept their foot on the gas while United failed to test Walker in the second half as the Steelmen’s defence snuffed out any openings.

Corby finally added a fourth goal in the 75th minute when Weir-Daley broke into the box but was denied by Bedwell only for Carvalho to knock home the rebound. Mills deservedly got his second goal in stoppage-time with a low drive past Bedwell.

The only consolation for Davis was that the defeat did not come against one of the other sides immediately above his side. But United need to start picking up points fast or they could be well adrift by the end of the year.