Stanbridge reaches milestone as Puritans extend advantage

Ollie Stanbridge made his 500th appearance for Banbury United at Mangotsfield
Ollie Stanbridge made his 500th appearance for Banbury United at Mangotsfield

Banbury United made it ten wins on the spin as they extended their lead at the top of the Evo-Stik Southern League.

The Puritans came away from Mangotsfield United with a 1-0 success in Saturday’s Division One South & West clash where an own goal from Scott Brice in the first half proved the difference between the two sides.

Besides Mike Ford’s side going five points clear of nearest challengers Cinderford Town, who had another game postponed, Saturday marked a milestone for Ollie Stanbridge who chalked up his 500th game for the Puritans.

On a difficult pitch, United managed to keep their run of consecutive wins going despite being second best on the day to their Bristol based hosts

Mangotsfield began the betterof the two sides with Lewis Shipp going close, Ben Bament testing Jack Harding and Rickie Scott heading wide. United responded with Ricky Johnson releasing Leam Howards but he failed to beat Kyle Phillips with his attempted chip.

Mangotsfield continued to have the better of the game and Matt Groves fired over the bar before the deadlock was broken in the 39th minute. An excellent low cross from Miles Welch-Hayes was turned into his own net by Brice, under pressure from Howards.

The second half began with Mangotsfield again on top and Welch-Hayes creared a goalbound shot from Groves off the line. Mangotsfield went close again when a corner fell to Brice on the edge of the area who shot just over the bar.

At the other end a good run from Zac McEachran ended with his shot being blocked by a defender and Johnson was unable to convert the rebound from a narrow angle.

Olly Mehew forced an excellent finger-tip save from Harding before United enjoyed their best sepll in the final five minutes. A corner found its way through to Johnson who was denied by Phillips and from the ensuing flag-kick Andy Gunn’s header was cleared off the line.