Patterson’s winner end United’s grip on the trophy

Jack Harding''was in excellent form in Tuesday's Oxon Senior Cup tie
Jack Harding''was in excellent form in Tuesday's Oxon Senior Cup tie

Banbury United lost their grip on the Oxon Senior Cup as they went down to a solitary goal from Kaylem Patterson in Tuesday’s quarter-final tie at Oxford City.

The Vanarama National League South outfit just edged out their Evo-Stik Southern League counterparts in the rearranged tie thanks to Patterson’s second half winner.

A largely uneventful first half saw City have much the better of the 45 minutes. But despite their domination they found it difficult to break down a United side that defended very well.

The one clear opportunity that came their way midway through the first period saw a neat passing move end with Carlos Piffare being denied by Jack Harding’s excellent save from close range.

Just before the break United had their best spell and Mark Bell cut inside from the right before shooting across keeper Harry Edwards from a tight angle but the ball went just wide of the far post.

After the restart former Puritan Declan Benjamin put Connor McDonagh through on goal but the striker screwed his shot wide. At the other end George Nash saw his effort from the edge of the area gathered by Edwards at the second attempt.

The only goal arrived in the 54th minute when Patterson’s initial shot was blocked but when the ball came back to him he made no mistake at the second attempt, firing low past Harding.

United responded well, Leam Howards shot wide from a narrow angle before he put a cross from Callum White over the bar. United continued to ask questions of the City defence with Felipe Barcelos firing over the bar from close range.

As the game opened up, Harding kept United in it when he made an excellent save to keep out a low drive from Piffare from the edge of the area.

United dominated the closing stages but couldn’t find the elusive equaliser and in the first minute of stoppage-time substitute Ricky Johnson saw his header hacked off the line by a defender.