York hold on to knock Saints out of the FA Trophy

York City's Hamza Bencherif is beaten to the ball by Brackley Town's Alex Gudger. Photo: Gordon Clayton
York City's Hamza Bencherif is beaten to the ball by Brackley Town's Alex Gudger. Photo: Gordon Clayton

A solitary goal from veteran striker Jon Parkin ended Brackley Town’s run in the Buildbase FA Trophy.

Saints went out of the Emirates FA Cup in a solitary goal defeat at Blackpool in the fourth round and Kevin Wilkin’s side exited the FA Trophy in the same manner in Saturday’s quarter-final tie.

Parkin had seen an earlier penalty saved by Laurie walker before heading the game’s only goal just before the half-hour mark. Saints came back strongly in the second half and twice hit the woodwork but City held on despite having Danny Holmes sent off late on for picking up two yellow cards.

The Vanarama National League strugglers started brightly and went close with Sean Newton shooting wide from the edge of the box. City were given a great opportunity to take an early lead when Alex Gudger pulled back Parkin in the box the veteran striker’s ensuing spot-kick was saved by Walker.

The Saints keeper did well to keep out Hamza Bencherif’s close range header while Dan Parlow failed to convert Newton’s free-kick at the far post.

Saints replied when Glenn Walker’s free-kick went narrowly wide while Alex Whittle blasted over and Simon Heslop’s long range attempt went wide. But City broke the deadlock in the 29th minute when Parkin headed past Walker following Newton’s cross.

Boosted by the breakthrough, City looked for a second goal. Morgan-Smith shot over, Parkin was off target with a header and Heslop blasted wide from the edge of the box.

After the restart, Saints really came into the tie. Matt Lowe fired over from 25 yards and Gudger’s header from Adam Walker’s cross was saved by Kyle Letheren.

Lowe went close again before Gudger’s header flashed wide from Glenn Walker cross. Saints went even closer to an equaliser when James Armson’s long range volley came back off the bar.

Holmes picked up two cautions in quick succession for fouls on Armson before Letheren tipped Glenn Walker’s shot around the post. Adam Walker also fired over before Gudger headed against the bar from Glenn Walker’s cross but City survived to send Saints out of the competition.