Nash pops up with a cracker to earn Puritans a point

Banbury United's Tom Winters takes on Weymouth's Calvin BrooksBanbury United's Tom Winters takes on Weymouth's Calvin Brooks
Banbury United's Tom Winters takes on Weymouth's Calvin Brooks
Banbury United had to make do with a solitary Evo-Stik Southern League point following Saturday's 1-1 draw with Weymouth.

Both goals came in the first half of Saturday’s premier division clash at the Banbury Plant Hire Community Stadium. Charlie Davis gave Weymouth the early lead from the penalty spot but George Nash equalised with a cracker midway through the first period.

Boss Mike Ford made changes to the side which lost at Biggleswade Town. Jack Westbrook returned after illness while on-loan signing Tom Winters started on the left flank. Tom Bradbury had to be content with a place on the bench along with new signing Manny Duku.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But United were behind in the third minute when Westbrook bundled over Ben Thomson on the edge of the area. The referee deemed it to be on the line and Davis struck the ensuing spot-kick high into the top corner of the net.

Boosted by the goal, Weymouth had the better of the exchanges before United worked their way into the game. A strong run from Winters saw the Oxford City loanee fire just wide of the far post.

But United were back on level terms in the 22nd minute when Winters’ free-kick was only cleared to Jack Self who found the overlapping Nash and he hit a superb shot into top corner of the net.

That changed the game and United had the better of the remainder of the half. But there was not a lot to trouble either keeper until the closing stages.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ashley Wells passed inside to Thomson on the edge of the area who created space to get in a shot which Harding dived full length to tip around the post. Zac McEachran went on a typical run to the edge of the area but keeper Tom McHale was equal to his effort.

Weymouth started the second half brightly. The overlapping Mark Cooper took the ball inside and hit a fierce shot from a narrow angle which Westbrook deflected over the bar.

Weymouth continued to have the better of the contest before United enjoyed their best spell of the game. A long range effort from Self went just wide of the post and an Eddie Odhiambo cross was headed over by Ricky Johnson.

Weymouth twice went close twice themselves. Thomson’s cross was headed away at the far post by Westbrook to thwart the incoming Stuart Fleetwood. From Davis’s resulting corner a scramble on the edge of the six-yard box developed with substitute Tiago Sa stabbing the ball just wide.

Both sides worked hard in the closing stages to try and find the winner but neither keeper was troubled too seriously.