Katsoloudi hits a hat-trick as Ardley finally get through

Ardley United booked their place in the next round of the Bluefin Sports Supplementary Cup but only after extra-time against Chalfont Wasps.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 16th February 2016, 4:12 pm
Updated Wednesday, 17th February 2016, 8:20 am
Elias Katsoloudi hit a hat-trick as Ardley got through in extra-time
Elias Katsoloudi hit a hat-trick as Ardley got through in extra-time

The UHLSport Hellenic League premier division side went through 6-3 in Saturday’s second round tie. Ardley overcamea spirited fightback by their Division One East hosts.

Ardley took early control and went in front in the eighth minute via a penalty awarded for a foul on Elias Katsoloudi who stepped up to convert the ensuing spot-kick. Chris Jackson headed a cross narrowly over the bar before the home side slowly began to work their way into the game.

Zak De Souza and the lively Tom Williams saw efforts go wide. But just before the half hour mark Lewis Strafford lost possession and Williams crossed for De Souza to equalise. Strafford almost made amends at the other end but his shot was blocked.

Williams and De Souza again threatened before Reece Bayliss’s mazy run ended with him being brought down on the edge of the box and Katsoloudi again stepped up to despatch the ball past keeper Stephen Church to put Ardley back in front.

Two minutes later Bayliss again surged into the box an, his shot deflected off Church’s body and into the net to put the visitors 3-1 ahead at halftime.

After the restart Wasps reduced the deficit in the 63rd minute when Williams’ cross was headed home by Fred Tripp. Five minutes later the home side thought they had scored again but the effort was disallowed for offside.

In the 72nd minute Chalfont were reduced to ten men when Bobby Cumber was dismissed for a second yellow card but this scarcely made any difference as they continued to cause Ardley problems at the back. It wasn’t one-way traffic as the visitors had their chances but weren’t able to put Church under any pressure.

With seven minutes left, substitute Michael Goddard raced free on the right and he fired past Kieran Beesley and into the far corner of the net to send the tie into extra-time.

Having struggled to cope with the ten-men Wasps in the second half, Ardley stepped up a gear and proceeded to dominate the additional 30 minutes. Substitute Ade Talabi hit the bar before Bayliss had a shot saved.

But in the 103rd minute Talabi produced a great strike to put his side back in front. Two goals in as many minutes made the game safe, Andy Prescott’s shot was not held by Church allowing Carl Tappin to net from the rebound, and Katsoloudi completed his hat-trick as he ran through to slot home.