Jeacock bags a brace as Puritans get back on track

George Jeacock came off the bench to bag a brace as Banbury United got back to winning ways in the Evo-Stik Southern League.

Wednesday, 2nd November 2016, 7:55 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:49 pm
Banbury United's George Jeacock, seen here holding off Bishops Cleeve's Olly Butler, scored twice on Tuesday

The Puritans came from behind to win 4-1 at St Neots Town in Tuesday’s premier division clash.

Rogan McGeorge gave St Neots a spectacular lead but two first goals from Eddie Odhiambo, his first for the club, and Jack Self, turned the game around before Jeacock struck twice late in the second half.

Manager Mike Ford stuck with Ricky Johnson at the back, but this time alongside Luke Carnell with skipper Andy Gunn on the bench. Jack Westbrook came in for the unwell Callum White while Ford also opted for a five-man midfield with Conor McDonagh the lone striker.

After a scrappy opening St Neots took the lead in the 12th minute when McGeorge spotted Jack Harding off his line and hit a superb shot from just inside the visitors’ half and over the stranded keeper.

Boosted by the breakthrough, St Neots dominated proceedings and Johnny Hall saw his 20 yard strike go just wide. United’s first attack saw Marvin Martin release Zac McEachran who created the space only to see his effort go just wide of the post.

United equalised in the 35th minute when a neat move down the right opened up the home side’s defence and Darius Browne crossed low for Odhiambo to net from close range. And United took the lead in the first minute of stoppage-time when another well worked move saw McEachran release Self who struck the ball low from 12 yards past Alex Archer.

United began the second half brightly and a corner was only partially cleared to the edge of the area where Odhiambo forced Archer to save with his legs.

But St Neots began to have the better of the game and Hall saw his shot from 15 yards saved by Harding. That set up a 15-minute spell of pressure with United’s defence having to work hard to preserve their side’s advantage.

But United weathered the storm and increased their lead in the 75th minute when Jeacock picked up the ball on the edge of the area, beat Charlie Ward before shooting past Archer from a tight angle.

United went close when a Mark Bell corner saw Carnell’s header saved by Archer at point blank range. But United made the points safe in the 85th minute when McEachran’s shot thundered against the bar and Jeacock headed home the rebound.