Brock steps down after latest Ardley defeat

Ardley United are on the look-out for a new manager following Kevin Brock’s decision to stand down after Tuesday’s 5-1 defeat against lowly Abingdon United.

Manager Kevin Brock decided his  time was up at Ardley United
Manager Kevin Brock decided his time was up at Ardley United

Brock’s decision came after another abject performance from his side in Tuesday’s UHLSport Hellenic League clash. Ardley now face a difficult trip to premier division high-fliers Highmoor Ibis on Saturday with senior players stepping up to take care of matters.

Abingdon took the lead on Tuesday when keeper Jack Goode attempted to save at the feet of Kieran Cochran, he got his hand to the ball but tripped the striker and George Reid converted the ensuing penalty.

Ten minutes later, Reid skinned his marker and sent over a superb cross which Cochran headed past Goode. Three minutes later Abingdon were reduced to ten men when, following a foul by Ryan Markham, Cochran kicked out in retaliation which resulted in his dismissal.

But the reduction in manpower had little effect on Abingdon as they increased their lead moments later when Goode missed a routine kick and Adam Bowerman ran round him to slot the ball into an empty net.

Having played 300 minutes of football and not scored while conceding 15 goals, Ardley had a mountain to climb but they gave themselves a glimmer of hope five minutes before the break. Josh Bowden went on a run across the area and slipped the ball to Andy Prescott who fired into the far corner.

But on the stroke of halftime Abingdon restored their three-goal advantage when Reid again beat his marker and went on a run into the box before firing past Goode.

Ardley set out to reduce the deficit after the restart but poor finishing accounted for a host of wasted chances.

Abingdon rounded it off midway through the second half from a quick break when substitute Jordan Jeacock beat Goode after the keeper could only parry an earlier effort. Ardley continued to press forward but the nearest they came to a goal was when Markham hit the bar.