Working smoke alarms helps alert Banbury family to fire

Fire
Fire

A family in Banbury were saved by their smoke alarm following a kitchen fire at their home in Padbury Drive on Saturday.

Firefighters from Deddington and Banbury were called to the address at about 4.30am, where they were faced with smoke coming from a ground floor flat.

The occupants had managed to escape before the fire became too severe, and crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire using hose reels before using high pressure fans to ventilate the property.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation by South Central Ambulance Service.

Simon Piper, incident commander from Banbury Fire Station, said: “The family had a lucky escape due to having working smoke alarms in the flat. This is a good example of the importance of working smoke alarms.

“If this had not been the case and the smoke alarms had not been working, the fire would have been much more serious and this incident could have resulted in a far different situation for the family.

“We recommend that all house and flats have at least one working smoke alarm on each floor and they are checked weekly.”

Visit www.365alive.co.uk for fire safety advice.