Villager, 94, is rescued

Editorial image
Editorial image

One of Shotteswell’s oldest residents was escorted to safety by firefighters after a house fire last Friday.

Two fire engines from Banbury were joined by one from Southam and Fenny Compton attended the property of Ethel Upton, 94, in Chapel Lane at about 5.25am after neighbours spotted smoke and flames.

Mrs Upton, who was born in the village and has lived there all her life, was taken to safety from the home before being taken to the Horton General Hospital in Banbury for smoke inhalation. She was released from hospital a few days later. Firefighters used breathing apparatus to tackle the fire, which was located in the kitchen and contained. Crews were at the scene until 8.30am damping down.

Shotteswell resident Val Ingram said everyone knew Mrs Upton and also praised the quick work of the firefighters.

Mrs Ingram said: “It made me feel sick when I saw the fire and realised it was at Ethel’s house. It is really gutting to see something like that happen to her as she is such a caring person and always cheerful.

“The crews were professional, brave, caring and soon brought the fire under control. The water used to fight the fire ran down the road and froze in the early hours of this morning, so the fire fighters even gritted the roads afterwards to make the fire scene safe.

Another Shotteswell resident Bruce Teuten also praised the fire service, after initially calling 999. He added: “The firefighters were brilliant and deserve all the praise they can get.”