Two people saved by working smoke alarm at Bicester flat fire

Two people were saved by a working smoke alarm and care line system yesterday morning following this flat fire in Kings End, Bicester.

Two people were saved by a working smoke alarm and care line system yesterday morning following this flat fire in Kings End, Bicester.

The fire, which occurred Monday just before 8am, is believed to have started due to an unattended candle, and the occupier (whilst in another room) was alerted by the smoke alarm and came through to find the living room on fire.

The fire quickly progressed and fortunately the occupant was able to use her pendant alarm to call for help whilst escaping the property.

Bicester house fire (photo from the Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service Facebook page)

On arrival by crews the upstairs flat occupant was assisted to safety due to the spreading smoke by police and fire officers, whilst fire crews dealt with the well developed fire.

Four people were checked for smoke inhalation by the South Central Ambulance Service.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has lots of tips on candle safety through the following web link: http://www.365alive.co.uk/cms/content/candle-safety and they recommend that candles are never left lit when you aren’t in the room.