Toxic gas may have caused death of boater

editorial image

Information released by Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue service suggests a member of Banbury’s boating community found dead yesterday (Thursday) on board a canal boat, may have died after breathing in toxic gas from an on-board appliance.

Fire, police and ambulance crews attended the scene on the Oxford Canal at 1.30pm and located the body of a man and his dog on a canal boat.

The cause of death is still being investigated but Watch Manager John Calloway of Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue issued a statement saying:

“Although the cause of this tragic incident has yet to be determined and is an ongoing investigation by the police, there are a number of appliances common to both boats and caravans (as well as houses) that have the ability to produce toxic fumes.

“It is our advice that all such equipment is professionally installed by a qualified technician and serviced regularly in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.

“We also recommend that both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are fitted and tested weekly.”

The man’s identity is yet to be released.

If you would like to pay tribute to the victim email us on or call 01295 227789