Lucky escape after kitchen fire in Banbury

Fire engineFire engine
Fire engine
Firefighters from Banbury were called to a kitchen fire in Britannia Road yesterday (Monday) after the occupier had become distracted while cooking.

It happened at about 1.40pm and on arrival they were met with a small fire in the kitchen at the rear of the property. This had caused considerable smoke logging to the remainder of the ground floor flat.

The fire had been extinguished before the fire service arrived and crews used high pressure ventilation fans to clear smoke from the property.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Watch Manager Simon Piper said: “The occupant of this property was extremely lucky to escape without serious injury as the property was not protected by any working smoke alarms. Due to recent legislation it is now the responsibility of all landlords to provide this type of warning system for their tenants.”

Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to:

Fit working smoke alarms and test them weekly

Make a fire escape plan

Should a fire occur, get out, stay out, and get the fire and rescue service out

Visit for fire safety advice. If you have a fire safety question call the free phone community safety helpline on 08000 325 999 or email [email protected]

Related topics: