Firefighters to rescue following sofa blaze

Fire crews at the scene of the fire at  The Camellias
Fire crews at the scene of the fire at The Camellias

Banbury firefighters made their second live rescue in less than three weeks after a house fire at The Camellias last Wednesday.

The incident happened at about 3.20pm after they were alerted to a person trapped in the property. Two fire engines from the Cope Road station were joined by an appliance from Deddington and they worked together to extinguish smoke from the home and escort the homeowner to safety.

The alert came after the rescue of a 94-year-old resident in Shotteswell following a house fire on January 23, which severely damaged part of its roof.

Vince Davies, watch manager of Blue Watch, attended the fire at The Camellias in Banbury and said: “I have been here for 20 years and this was only my third live rescue from a residential building. It is very rare for an incident like this to happen, especially if there are two very close together. We 
arrived at the scene to find the occupier of the house peeking out of his bathroom window as he had been in bed and the fire had started on the sofa in the living room.”

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the smoke from the downstairs living space, and were able to escort the man to safety once the home was clear. He was then treated at the scene by an ambulance crew.

Mr Davies added the property’s smoke alarms were working when firefighters arrived and said they ultimately saved the homeowner’s life.

He said: “There is a really good safety message with this incident to get homeowners and businesses to check their smoke alarms and make sure they are working properly.

“The owner of this property has done the right thing and stopped the fire from spreading further through the house. It was the sound of the smoke alarms that woke him up and alerted him to what was happening.”

For more fire safety information visit www.365alive.co.uk