Harry Dunn's mum appeals to government to make her son 'top priority' in talks with US Secretary of State

'When you get together next week with all of your families fully intact whilst mine is in complete tatters, can you please discuss Harry'
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Harry Dunn's mother has pleaded for the government to make getting justice for her son a priority during the United States Secretary of State's visit today (Monday, July 20).

Charlotte Charles begged Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to discuss the Northamptonshire teenager and bringing Anne Sacoolas back to the UK with Mike Pompeo.

Mr Raab said there are no measures the government can take to force the US to extradite the American driver accused of causing Harry's death nearly a year ago.

Harry DunnHarry Dunn
Harry Dunn

In a video, Mrs Charles said yesterday (Sunday): "Mr Raab, Mr Pompeo, Mr Johnson, when you get together next week with all of your families fully intact whilst mine is in complete tatters and my family has been ripped apart, can you please, please discuss Harry?

"We've been assured he's high on your list of priorities to discuss amongst all of the other important global issues that you have surrounding you but please, please make him top priority."

Harry, 19, died after his motorcycle was involved in a crash with Sacoolas' car on the wrong side of the road near Croughton on August 27, 2019.

The former CIA officer, whose husband was based at RAF Croughton, a US surveillance outpost, went back to the US a few weeks later having claimed diplomatic immunity.

Harry Dunn's mother, Charlotte Charles, with his father, Tim DunnHarry Dunn's mother, Charlotte Charles, with his father, Tim Dunn
Harry Dunn's mother, Charlotte Charles, with his father, Tim Dunn

Mr Pompeo rejected an extradition request after the 42-year-old mother-of-two was charged with causing death by dangerous driving - a US State Department spokesperson said that decision was final.

Mrs Charles urged Mr Johnson and Mr Raab not to allow their campaign for justice roll into a second year after a 'horrific' 11 months for the family.

"We've got his anniversary coming up which is going to be beyond painful for us", she said.

"It's just about doing the right thing. It always has been, it always will be."

Mr Raab repeated that Harry's death and Sacoolas' refusal to return is a 'denial of justice'and that the matter has been raised previously with President Donald Trump by Mr Johnson.

But the foreign secretary was pessimistic about the chances of convincing Mr Pompeo of reversing his decision.

"There's no measures that we could I think credibly, realistically take which is somehow going to force the US or indeed Anne Sacoolas to comply with this [the extradition]," he told Sky News.

"I want to be realistic because I don't want to raise expectations which are then going to be dashed."

Mrs Charles simply wants the person responsible for her son's death to face the consequences.

"Please send her back, bring Anne Sacoolas back to the UK, face the justice system, she can go home and do whatever afterwards, whatever has been handed down to her," she said.

"That part of it is of no concern to me - my concern is to make sure justice is brought."