Harry Dunn alleged killer 'instinctively drove on wrong side of the road for 20 seconds' before fatal Northamptonshire crash

Family: 'Do the right thing and return to the UK to answer to the charges laid against you'

By Jack Duggan
Friday, 11th September 2020, 11:46 am
Updated Friday, 11th September 2020, 11:51 am

Harry Dunn's alleged killer has broken her months of silence by insisting she 'instinctively' drove on the wrong side of the road for 20 seconds before the fatal crash in Northamptonshire.

Anne Sacoolas was otherwise driving cautiously and below the speed limit but could not see the Charlton teenager due to the crest of a small hill, a statement from her lawyers reads.

The American mother, who claimed diplomatic immunity through a loophole and remains in the United States, added she has 'never tried to avoid being held accountable' and is willing to discuss the possibility of a virtual trial.

A Justice4Harry banner at the site of the fatal crash between Harry Dunn's motorcycle and Anne Sacoolas' car near Croughton

Harry's family issued a statement yesterday (Thursday, September 10) saying: "The parents have noted the statement issued this evening on behalf of Mrs Sacoolas.

"Their position is that these issues should not be aired in any form other than a court of law.

"Once again, they invite her to do the right thing and return to the UK to answer to the charges laid against her."

Harry, 19, died in hospital after his motorcycle was involved in a crash with a car being driven by Sacoolas, 43, on the right-hand-side of the B4031 near Croughton on August 27, 2019.

Sacoolas' latest statement gives her side of the incident in more detail than before, saying she 'did everything she could to assist Harry' by running from her car to help him.

"Anne then saw another motorist approach and flagged her down for more support," the statement reads.

"The other motorist immediately called for the emergency services and Anne made calls to alert the police from the nearby air force base.

"The base police arrived quickly and assisted Harry. Tragically, it took over 40 minutes for the ambulance to arrive and nearly two hours passed before Harry was admitted to the hospital.

"Anne did not leave the scene until she was instructed to do so by the UK authorities."

Sacoolas used a legal loophole, which has now been amended, to claim immunity through her husband, who was working at RAF Croughton for the US government, and leave the country three weeks later.

She was charged with causing death by dangerous driving in December but the US State Department rejected an extradition request, a decision the American secretary of state said was final.

The past few days have been tumultuous for Harry's family as the prospect of a virtual trial was dampened by the US government following a meeting with the Crown Prosecution Service on Wednesday.

Attorney General Suella Braverman said she was considering it after a request from South Northamptonshire MP Andrea Leadsom while the US State Dept said it was working with its British counterparts to bring the matter to a 'reasonable resolution'.

But the US wants the trial to be considered on American soil, which the victim's parents oppose as they want it all to be through the English justice system.

Yet Sacoolas' statement says: "We have been and remain willing to discuss a resolution, including the possibility of virtual proceedings, with the UK authorities.

"Anne has never tried to avoid being held accountable for the tragic accident and she would like nothing more than to find a path forward and to provide the family some measure of peace."