Banbury fire crews break down door to extinguish blaze

editorial image

Three fire vehicles were called to a fire in the Sewing Machine shop on Mewburn Road, Banbury, on Monday evening.

At about 8.30pm, July 18, crews from the Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire in the Sewing Machine shop and arrived to find the shop filled with smoke with flames visible in the front window.

Fire at GTS Sewing Machines, Banbury. One of the directors, Gary Sharpe. NNL-160719-115745009

Fire at GTS Sewing Machines, Banbury. One of the directors, Gary Sharpe. NNL-160719-115745009

Two fire fighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the shop after forcing entry due to the premises being locked shut, and quickly extinguished the fire using a high pressure water hose reel jet. The fire crews then set about removing the smoke from the building using a force ventilation fan.

Crew Manager Nigel Matthews, who attended the incident, said: “As the shop was closed we had to break through the front door in order to get in, but once inside the breathing apparatus crew were able to fight the fire very quickly and contained the area affected by direct burning solely to the window display.

“The fire was discovered by a member of the public walking past the shop on their way to the fish and chip shop a couple of doors down.”

After an investigation it was determined that the fire started as a result of a magnifying glass present within the window display focussing the rays of the setting sun onto the display immediately behind it.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service would like to remind the public that even during the sunset there is sufficient heat energy in the sun’s rays to start fires. Ensure that you do not have items that can focus the sun’s energy such as shaving mirrors, bottles, or magnifying glasses anywhere near a window.