The Duke of Edinburgh is in hospital - everything we know so far
The Duke was taken to hospital on the advice of his doctor as a “precautionary measure”.
The Duke was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London on Tuesday (16 February) evening, the palace said in a statement.
It is understood that Prince Philip does not have a coronavirus-related illness and walked into hospital unaided.
The Duke, aged 99, received the first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine in January and has been staying with the Queen at Windsor Castle during lockdown.
A palace spokesperson said: “His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital in London, on Tuesday evening.
“The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s Doctor, after feeling unwell.
“The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.”
Ongoing health problems
Prince Philip has suffered with a number of ailments over the years, including being treated for a blocked coronary artery at Papworth Hospital in Cambridgeshire in December 2011.
Later in June 2012, he suffered from a bladder infection which forced him to miss the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations.
A year later in June 2013, he had exploratory surgery on his abdomen and began to use hearing aids in 2014, at the age of 93.
The Duke later pulled out of a Battle of Jutland anniversary event in june 2016 citing a minor ailment, which was followed soon after by his retirement from public duty in 2017.
Prince Philip also spent four nights at King Edward Hospital in December 2019, where he was treated for a “pre-existing condition”.
He was later discharged on Christmas Eve and was driven to Sandringham to spend Christmas with the Queen.