- 4 large potatoes (fluffy), skin on and cut into small cubes
- 4 lean rashers smoked bacon, grilled and chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2tbsp green pesto
- Flour for dusting
- 1-2tbsp olive oil for frying
- Eggs for poaching
- Rinse cubed potatoes, drain, then place into large plastic (microwave proof) bowl and add a small splash of water and garlic. Cover with a plastic plate or cling film and cook. For a microwave of 800 watts (category E), cook for 5-8 minutes. Leave to stand for 1 minute.
- Alternatively, place the potatoes in a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Crush potatoes. Add bacon, spring onions, pesto and seasoning and mix well.
- Take handfuls of the mixture, shape into a ball and then flatten and make into cake shapes. Lightly dust with flour and then chill.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the cakes for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Finally, heat a large pan of boiling water. Crack the eggs into the water, turn off the heat and leave for about 6 minutes (for a soft poach). Remove and serve on top of the potato cakes.