Residents in east Adderbury and Twyford have expressed their disappointment with Adderbury Parish Council after it removed its objections to 59 new homes in the village.
Campaigners claim they have been let down by the parish council, which initially objected to proposals submitted by developers Archstone Land and Bloor Homes last year, outlining plans to build on Aynho Road east of Deene Close, on eight grounds before – in what residents say was ‘a spectacular u-turn’ – it removed all objections at a meeting on February 18.
Resident Jonathan Spring said: “I can honestly say on behalf of many residents within the village that they feel deeply let down by the parish council.
“Adderbury is being bombarded by a number of applications submitted by opportunistic developers, so it was abundantly clear residents relied upon the parish council for support.”
However, parish council chairman Diane Bratt said the objections were mainly to do with layout and design and the amended proposals addressed all those issues.
She said: “When we voted on the application last month it was on the revised plan. So it’s not absolutely different but certainly improved.” Mrs Bratt added that the Government planning inspector who gave the go-ahead 65 houses south of Milton Road in January stated that the neighbourhood plan does not yet have any weight, which meant the parish council could not use it as reason for objecting.
She said: “All our reasons for objecting had been removed – there was nothing we could say.”
Cherwell planning officers received the application in November but deferred it to enable the developers to make amendments to the plans.
They have recommended the proposals be approved at a CDC planning committee today (Thursday).