An Adderbury pub is celebrating its 200-year anniversary by holding a fun day to raise funds for Katharine House Hospice.
The Coach and Horses dates back to the 14th century but was first converted into a pub in 1814.
In that year James Hayward bought the pub with his wife Kezia for the princely sum of £180 after previous owner Wiiliam Halford – a Quaker and mercer – became bankrupt and was disowned by the Quakers for ‘insolvency caused by sloth and want of care’.
In 1836 the Mutual Friendly Society was formed in a clubhouse above the pub’s stable.
Morris dancing took place at the pub at this time and the Hayward family composed songs for the dancers.
It was usual for publicans to have a second trade and in the 1850s owners William Dorset and his son Thomas used the pub as a base for cattle trading and later under Edward Whatstrup it was used for carpentry. From 1863-1884 the building doubled up as an undertakers.
Villagers remember The Coach and Horses being a rather rough and ready drinking man’s establishment in the earlier 20th century,
But landlord Tony Watts who has run the pub with his wife Shani for two-and-a-half years said the pub is now very much a community establishment at the heart of village life.
The community fun day will see the village Scouts, Morris dancers and Rainbow groups all involved as well as Adderbury Historical Society. Events will include Morris dancing, a classic car show, a beer festival, a quiz, stalls and games.
It will take place on Satuday, September 6 from 12-5pm and all proceeds go to Katharine House Hospice.