A mother has expressed frustration at having to cancel work and travel 200 miles over four days to get her son’s cut head seen to in Oxford.
Sarah Burton took toddler Wyatt to the Horton General Hospital at 9pm on Wednesday, July 31 after he fell and cut open his eyebrow.
Doctors felt two-year-old Wyatt needed stitches and should be transferred to the children’s hospital, Oxford. They put temporary plaster strips on to bind the gash.
There followed four days of trips to Oxford before a doctor properly assessed the wound.
“I had to miss work over the weekend, which cost me £150 and £20 in fuel each time,” she said.
The two were sent home on Thursday with new steri-strips but had to return to Horton A&E when the boy peeled them off. She was told to await a call from the JR.
When she eventually rang them, staff had no knowledge of Wyatt and Ms Barton was told to take him back on Saturday.
“I was told Wyatt should have nothing to eat after 7.30am. On Saturday we were told there was no consultant to see him and to return on Sunday with no food allowed.
“After getting up at 5am on Sunday we went back but the consultant, when he finally saw Wyatt, decided the wound was healing nicely and it was best not to disturb it. We were sent home,” she said.
“There was a four-year-old girl who had a bit of ceramic tile embedded in her foot. She and her parents had been to and from the JR from Didcot for four days.”
Professor Edward Baker, medical director of Oxford University Hospitals Trust (OUHT) said: “Some children and adults will be referred from the Horton for assessment and treatment at Oxford if it is felt input is needed from a plastic surgeon... based on the size and type of wound and where it is.
“The plastics team are then able to bring their expertise in treating or closing a wound to minimise scarring, as well as assessing some patients for surgery in more serious cases.”
The Banbury Guardian asked the trust to explain the catalogue of difficulty met during attempts to see a doctor but managers declined.
Keith Strangwood, chair of Keep the Horton General, said: “A substandard service was given to Wyatt. Once again this emphasises current provision from the OUHT is not workable or sustainable.
“I hope GPs on the Oxfordshire Clinical Commissioning Group take OUHT in hand, sort them out or investigate an alternative health provider.”