DCSIMG

School bus group warns of legal challenge to ‘flawed’ proposals

Picture back l-r: Perran Moon, Susannah Arnaboldi,(concerned parent)Sue Moon,head teacher of school Paul Hollidge Front l-r: Rebekah Arnabaldi, nine, Luca Moon, nine, and Lotta Baud,nine

Picture back l-r: Perran Moon, Susannah Arnaboldi,(concerned parent)Sue Moon,head teacher of school Paul Hollidge Front l-r: Rebekah Arnabaldi, nine, Luca Moon, nine, and Lotta Baud,nine

A group of parents fighting plans to cut back school bus services says it will launch a legal challenge if Oxfordshire County Council persists with its cost cutting plan.

Objectors to the council’s proposal to restrict transport to the school closest to a child’s home say they believe an extension to the public consultation – announced by the council last week – could allow it to take legal advice.

The consultation is the second attack on school transport this year. The first plan was shelved this summer after a public outcry.

Oxfordshire School Bus Action Group co-ordinator Sue Moon said: “The announcement is yet another episode in what has been another farcical consultation.

“The proposals are flawed as they are not guaranteed to deliver anywhere near the savings the council predicts. We have specialist lawyers following this carefully and the council knows we are serious.”

Mrs Moon said public consultation meetings had led to some ‘laughable’ suggestions from officers about how children should get to school.

“Cycle on pavements, buy a moped and cycle on the A34 were just three,” she said. “People are angry officers seem to have such little regard for the plight of people the council has a duty to serve.”

She said uncertainty was being prolonged by the delay in a cabinet decision on the issue until January 28.

“We can only hope the cabinet can undo this damage by voting against these flawed proposals,” she said.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page