Firefighters from Banbury and Hook Norton were called to a house fire in Broughton Road, Banbury at 7.45pm on Sunday.
On arrival, the crews were met with smoke coming out from a window at the front of the property. A crew wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and extinguished the fire.
The fire was in the kitchen of the property and fire and smoke damage was limited to that room.
Watch manager David Edge said: “Fortunately for the occupier of the house, they were able to escape the property and take refuge in the back garden whilst firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the fire.
“The fire was caused by cooking and this serves as a timely reminder to everyone to not get distracted whilst cooking as fires can start quickly. It is also a good opportunity to encourage everyone to test their smoke alarms regularly and for those who don’t have smoke alarms, to make immediate arrangements to install them.”
For more information and advice from Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service, visit www.365alive.co.uk. call the free phone community safety helpline on 08000 325 999 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org