DCSIMG

Cat-lover ‘devastated’ by antifreeze poison deaths

Karen Webster with pictures of her daughter's cats Lennox and Willox, who died from anti freeze poisoning. NNL-140326-110334001

Karen Webster with pictures of her daughter's cats Lennox and Willox, who died from anti freeze poisoning. NNL-140326-110334001

A woman from Banbury has spoken of her devastation and is warning other pet owners of the danger after two cats died from antifreeze poisoning.

Karen Webster took her daughter Katrina’s five-year-old cat Lennox to West Bar Veterinary Hospital on March 13 after he was sick. He sadly later died and blood tests confirmed he had been poisoned.

Then when her daughter’s second cat, 13-month-old Willow, was sick on March 15 vets confirmed she had also been poisoned with antifreeze. She died later the same day.

Ms Webster, of Hampden Close, said: “We want to make people aware of the dangers of this as we all feel so numb. My grandchildren and I are absolutely devastated by what has happened. It is very difficult as my daughter and I are so fond of cats. If someone is out there targeting pets in the area they should stop now.

“We rushed Willow to the vets as quickly as we could on Thursday but she still died. Antifreeze can be in anything from paint to carpet fresheners so people need to know the dangers are out there. Another cat died from antifreeze poisoning in Edinburgh Way.”

Sophie Lowe of West Bar Veterinary Hospital said: “Antifreeze is a sweet tasting substance that cats and dogs will often drink and ingestion of only small amounts can be fatal. By the time symptoms such as vomiting and lethargy occur it is often too late to save them.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page