This year’s Banbury and District Show in Spiceball Park will not go ahead as planned on Sunday after safety concerns were raised due to the recent heavy rain.
It is the first time a Banbury Town Council event has been called off, and is because the recent rain has softened the ground and torrential downpours are expected for Saturday.
Councillor Colin Clarke, chairman of the show committee, said: “The welfare of show visitors and participants is paramount and underfoot conditions in the park are so poor after prolonged rain earlier this week and last week.
Following regular site visits by the council’s health and safety office it has been declared that the ground at Spiceball Park poses serious problems for those participating.
“Unfortunately the short dry period will not be sufficient for the ground to dry out in time.
“We have left the decision as late as possible in case of a positive change in the weather but have to take the storm warnings and ground conditions on board.”
Gareth Williams, contracts manager for Continental Landscapes, said: “While preparing for the show we have encountered problems with our mowers becoming stuck several times in the soft ground. Larger vehicles will have great difficulty moving around.”
Mike Hall, Banbury Town Council’s parks officer, said: “I have monitored the conditions this week and the ground has steadily got softer and softer. After the continued rain on Wednesday the ground has become too sodden and taking vehicles on to the site could cause serious issues that would ultimately affect the safety of participants at the event and visitors to the show.”