Heartfelt tributes to lifelong fishing fan

Tony Perry, who died at Clattercote Reservoir near Claydon on Tuesday, April 1 after suffering a heart attack
Tony Perry, who died at Clattercote Reservoir near Claydon on Tuesday, April 1 after suffering a heart attack

Warm tributes have been paid to a passionate angler from Wroxton who died at a reservoir near Banbury.

Tony Perry, 74, was a lifelong member of Banbury and District Angling Association.

He suffered heart failure while fishing at Clattercote Reservoir near Claydon on April 1 and fell into the water.

Mr Perry’s son Steve said his father spent his final moments doing what he loved.

He said: “Angling provided dad with many things. Relaxation and seclusion for a small town/village man at heart, but also the new friendships and conversations that people sharing a common interest could bring.

“A father and grandfather, I’m sure it gave him pleasure to know that his love of angling had been passed down to the next family generations. It comes then as some comfort that dad spent his last moments doing what had always given him great pleasure.”

Born in Banbury in 1939, Mr Perry was the only child of Louis and Ester Perry, nee Gardner, and attended St Leonard’s School in Grimsbury before going to Banbury Grammar School. His first job was on the railways with his dad, who worked on the line between Claydon and Fenny Compton. He then worked as a drayman for Bass Hunt Edmunds Brewery in Banbury until its closure in 1972.

Mr Perry married Jeanette Morgan but they divorced in 1984. He leaves two children, Steve and Adele, and three grandchildren, Robert, Ben and Joshua. He was also a lifelong member of Banbury Trades and Labour Club.

Paul Stilgoe knew Mr Perry for more than 40 years and worked with him at Bass Hunt Edmunds Brewery for ten years.

He said: “Tony was such a nice bloke. He was never miserable, always lived life to the full and was always smiling.

“We would always have such a laugh together and he loved his fishing and was also a very good darts and dominoes player.

“I was really upset when I heard about what had happened – no-one ever said a bad word about him.”

Emergency services and an air ambulance crew were called to the reservoir at about 10.26am, but Mr Perry was pronounced dead at the scene.

His funeral will be held at Cropredy Chapel tomorrow (Friday) at 11am. He will be buried close to his grandparents.