Firefighters lead couple to safety following fire

editorial image

AN ELDERLY couple from Banbury had a lucky escape after a kitchen fire broke out in their home this morning (Friday).

Firefighters from Banbury were called to the property in Howard Road at about 6.30am, where they found the couple in the living room before they assisted them out of the property with the help of a neighbour.

Incident commander Vince Davies said: “Upon arrival it was immediately clear that the residents were in need of rescue. Crews wore breathing apparatus to locate the couple and brought them out and into the care of South Central Ambulance. The fire was brought under control and positive pressure fans were used to clear the smoke from the house.

“I dread to think of the outcome of this incident had it not been for the house having working smoke alarms. These provided early detection and alerted the homeowners of the fire in the kitchen.”