Staff from Banbury heating company Gas-Tech are urging residents to stay ‘gas safe’ by checking their gas appliances every year and ensuring their engineer is Gas Safe registered.
The firm, based at the Swan Industrial Estate in Gatteridge Street, Banbury, is supporting Gas Safety Week which runs from September 16-22 by offering reduced price gas appliance servicing and safety checks to include fitment of a carbon monoxide alarm.
Lee Herbert, Gas-Tech managing director, said: “We are committed to gas safety awareness. Our engineers are all Gas Safe registered, carry ID and undertake regular training and assessment.”
In the past year, 333 people have been injured and four people have died from gas-related incidents in the UK.
Warning signs that gas appliances are not working correctly include lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s great, therefore, that Gas-Tech has pledged its support and is raising awareness of gas safety issues, helping to let consumers know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe.”
Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. To find an engineer and check they are registered visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
Registered engineers will carry an ID card. Residents should check this to ensure engineers are qualified.
The six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
An audible carbon monoxide alarm will alert householders if there is carbon monoxide in the home.